Artificial Intelligence is progressing immensely and rapidly in this era of age. In past, it was impossible to think about automatic machines which think or work like humans. With the passage of time Technology driven the world by machines. The 20th century is the century of fast development. However still there is one thing is lacking, and that is Intelligence in machines. Before we talk about AI let take a look at the history of AI.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial intelligence (AI, also machine intelligence, MI) is intelligence demonstrated by machines, in contrast to the natural intelligence (NI) displayed by humans and other animals.
History of Artificial Intelligence
AI began in history with stories and rumors, and it is a myth in its start.
- 1940: Programmable digital computer is invented.
- 1950: Alan Turing proposed turing test to exhibit intelligent behavior of machine’s ability.
- 1956: The term Artificial intelligence was created in dartmouth college conference.
- 1958: MIT Artificial Intelligence lab was started by John McCarthy and Marvin Minsky.
Logic Theory machine was created in artificial intelligence field.
- 1959: General Problem Solver a computer program was created by Allen Newell Herbert A. Simon, and J.C. Shaw.
- 1973: Funding was stopped into undirected research in artificial intelligence by US and british Goverment.
- 1980: Expert systems (a form of AI program) was adopted by corporations around the world.
Birth of Cyc (cyclorama): First attempt to directly attack the common sense knowledge problem.
- 1982: John Hopfield And David Rumelhart discovered a new method “Hopfield net” and “backpropagation” in the field of connectionism.
- 1987: Apple and IBM had been gaining speed and power steadily.
- 1997: First chess playing computer system Deep Blue beat Garry Kasparov a world chess champion.
- 2005: Unrehearsed desert trail of 131 miles DARPA Grand challenge was won by a Stanford robot.
- 2007: A robot team from CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) won the DARPA Urban Challenge of 55 miles in urban hazard traffic and laws.
- 2011: IBM Watson (question answering system) defeated the Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings (Greatest Jeopardy champions) in Jeopardy quiz show match.
“As soon as it works, no one calls it A.I. anymore.” – John McCarthy
Artificial Intelligence is classified into two categories
This system is also called Weak AI. Narrow Artificial Intelligence systems are designed for specific tasks. This system is defined as non-sentient computer intelligence system because it focus on a narrow task only.
General Artificial Intelligence system is also called broad AI. This is a hypothetical AI, which purpose is to make a system which work like a human being can.
Companies investments and interests in AI
Many companies are investing their money and efforts in AI, but there are some major companies who are investing and carrying the artificial intelligence dream forward. Which are:
- Elon Musk
Major Artificial Intelligence Companies Acquisitions
- Cleversense Restaurant recommendation app
- DNNresearch Use of deep learning and neural networks for image search
- DeepMind Develops self-learning algorithms
- Emu AI-based instant messaging
- Jetpac Aggregates the social media pictures and also analyzes their locations to provide a travel guide
- Dark Blue Labs Deep learning-based technology for understanding natural language Google by DeepMind
- Vision Factory Object and text-recognition using deep learning Google DeepMind
- Timeful Smart scheduling app
- Granata Decision Systems Prescriptive analytics initially focused on marketing resource management
- IQ Engines Image-recognition software
- LookFlow API for image recognition and categorization
- SkyPhrase Natural-language processing technology
- Gravity Personalized advertisements
- Convertro Marketing intelligence
- Sociocast Predictive analytics
- Cogenea AI-based virtual assistant
- Explorys Predictive healthcare data analytics
- AlchemyAPI is a Cloud platform with natural-languages capability and including keyword extraction, categorization
- Indisys Natural-language processing
- Saffron Cognitive computing platform
- Itseez Computer vision and pattern recognition
- Vocal IQ A Speech-processing tool for improved human-machine interaction
- Perceptio Developing advanced Artificial Intelligence for smartphones
- Emotient it is a emotion-detection technology, which improve the understanding of customer sentiment
- Madbits Deep learning-based visual intelligence platform which help to identify contents of images
- TellApart Predictive advertising for ecommerce and retail
- Whetlab The company who claims to have a developed technology which make machine learning better and faster
- Magic Pony Machine learning and visual processing technology
- Tempo Artificial Intelligence Smart calendar
- PredictionIO Open-source machine learning server
- MetaMind AI-based personalization and customer support solutions for companies
Artificial Intelligence Future
Technology is increasing day by day. If we look past we can see a clear difference in past and present. Now machines are everywhere in our bedrooms, kitchens, toilets and even in our small pockets. AI make technology more efficient. With AI, now we have auto driven cars, engines, machines, Softwares with AI can understand what we want and help us to find our actual data.
Future is bright, and in advancement of AI is become more brighter. But there are also some negative impacts of AI which we discussed in our later blog.
Here are few Articles about Search Engine Optimization you might get interested!